일요일, 1월 08, 2006

GRITS

At least once a week, my mother-in law gives us a big box of food, more than enough for a family twice our size. We eat what we can, but sometimes the box has surprises that we’re not sure what to do with. This week my mother-in law gave us grits.

That’s right, my southern friends, GRITS. My understanding of what grits are is hulled starchy corn. I’ve seen these only a handful of times in my life, and never expected to come across it in Korea. My mother-in-law found them at a store that makes and sells rice cake (), took them home and steamed them for my wife, who was sick last week.

My wife told me that a long time ago (post-Korean war), when rice was too expensive in Gangwon-do, many people ate corn instead. It’s quite healthful, but not something my wife particularly enjoys, so she told me to do something with it. After a bit of research into the various ways to prepare grits (there are a lot), I came up with my own recipe.

My grandmother was from Missouri, and loved many of the high-cholesterol southern foods. (I have especially fond memories of fried okra.) I’m pretty sure she would have enjoyed this dish, so I’m dedicating this recipe to her.


Fried (fraaah-d) Grits

Calories: about a billion

3 cups Cooked Grits (hulled, whole corn, steamed or boiled—still firm)

5 rashers bacon chopped fine

1 large onion, chopped

bouillon powder

salt

pepper

cream – fresh or sour (as much as your heart can handle)

Chop the onion, and mix together with the grits, adding the cream, salt, pepper, and bouillon powder to taste. Fry the bacon until slightly crispy. Drain the bacon, leaving the grease in the pan, and mix together wit he grits mixture. Fry the mixture in the bacon grease until browned, mixing occasionally (like hashbrowns).

This dish would be especially good served with a generous sprinkling of grated cheddar on top.

1 Comments:

At 1:02 오전 GMT+9, Blogger Eun-sung Lee said...

Hi! Thanks for posting on my site. My new blog is e-unsung.blogspot.com ; I'll be adding to it a lot when I move back to Korea in February.

I've had a look around: your cooking looks good, and it looks like you've got a cute kid, too! I envy you.... is he half Korean?

As for 수원영락교회, I was only in Korea for four months, and the english translation was so... spotty that I couldn't get much a feel for their theology. I have some friends here in the states who went to that very church. They opposed some things I did, such as listening to christian rock, but as the concept doesn't exist in Korea (to speak of) this was perhaps understandable.

I didn't see the kind of blatent wrong teaching you referred to, but I might well have missed it. About when did you attend there? And when did you say that the church dissolved? I heard that the church building was torn down to make room for a highway, but that's the only news I received.

Anyway, please respond back with more info about your experience there, as I was (until now) thinking of going back there when I returned. You can contact me at e.EunSung at gmail.com , or just comment on my blog.

 

댓글 쓰기

<< Home