일요일, 4월 23, 2006

#1 Sokcho Ripoff: Seorak Waterpia













If you come to Sokcho, there are a lot of things you can and should do, but there are also more than a few tourist traps to avoid. At the top of the list is Seorak Waterpia.

Unless you can get huge discounts with your phone club card or credit card, Waterpia is really overpriced and way too crowded. (35,000 entry plus 6,000 for a lifejacket if you want to get into the little wave pool.) If you sit in the couples tubs, people will come and ask you to let them use it, and the place is so crowded, we never got more than 2 minutes uninterrupted. Not only do all the Korean tourists come here, but several busses arrive each day with Chinese tourists from Shanghai and Hong Kong. There is a major expansion underway, but you'll have to wait a few years for that. The two waterslides are Asian-sized only, not allowing anyone over 80 kg. A variety of fast-food is available, but it comes in miniscule portions at high prices.

My wife and I like to go to Seorak Pines Resort, just down the road from Waterpia towards Seorak Park. They have a large indoor swimming pool (for laps and such), and several outdoor warm pools in a peaceful setting. It's only 12,000 won (7,000 if you area alocal resident), and it's almost never crowded. I would guess that at certain times on weekdays you might have the whole place to yourself. There are also nice deals on hotel rooms with the sauna included, although I can't say anything about the rooms since we live in town.

Of course, if you come in the summer, there are many fine beaches, and if you’ve arranged public transport, they’re all absolutely free.

3 Comments:

At 4:53 오후 GMT+9, Blogger kwandongbrian said...

Waterpia can be a pleasant place if you do have the discounts. The huge size and variety of tubs in the Mokyok and the hot pools outside are very nice in winter. The wave pool is a freakin' joke though- I have to give you that.

The Seorak Pines resort: is that next to Koresco? I found the Koresco pool to be murky. The only good pool, from an exercise standpoint, is the one in Yangyang, in my opinion.

This is getting a little long for a blog comment: sorry 'bout that.

We earlier discussed bike repair shops in Sokcho. I passed two bike shops that might do repairs one full block behind (away from the lake)Pizza Hut. They are somewhat near the Sokcho Lifelong Learning centre - which has a new reading program for pre-schoolers. Register before May 10 for a library card and get two free books.

 
At 6:29 오후 GMT+9, Blogger skindleshanks said...

I have gone with all the discounts and enjoyed myself, but I still won't be recommending it to tourists--it costs as much if not more than Caribbean Bay, I think, and offers only a fraction of the value, IMO. We'll see what it's like after the major expansion. I've heard rumors that it will then be the biggest water "park" in the country. We'll see what that means. Hopefully they won't be charging 80,000 won for twice the facilities!

Try the pool at Seorak Pines. It's pretty nice. They also have a free shuttle bus every hour to the major apartments in Sokcho.

 
At 11:45 오전 GMT+9, Anonymous 익명 said...

I just got back from a vacation there. It was expensive, and very crowded. I felt strange, i was the only American there. I was too big to get on the higher slide due to its 80kg limit, i am 95kg, i guess that is a giant there, lol. I hated to wear those stupid swimmers hats. I did have fun however because i love Korea and was with my friends there for the Korean Holiday of Chuseok. I live in Bensalem bucks county Pennsylvania near Philadelphia. I would like to learn more Hangul so anyone feel free to contact me through AMERICAN ON LINE SCREEN NAME LAWN CARE BY TC all one word.
Korea's Soraksan was so beautiful! Well Anyeong hye kyeseyo, Tom

 

댓글 쓰기

<< Home